Our Favorite Things About Mill Valley
- Downtown with a thriving shopping district you don't need to go into the city to visit trendy restaurants and shops like Playa, The Goods, Beerworks, Buckeye Roadhouse, Floodwater, Watershed, Mint, Sundry, and The Store to name a few. The Depot is the anchor of downtown providing a communal gathering place for music, drink, lectures, brunch and browsing in the bookstore.
- Public Schools- Mill Valley has the most public elementary schools in southern Marin and many of them feel like private schools with state of the art technology, newly remodeled campuses, amazing teachers and devoted PTAs.
- Sweetwater Music Hall is a fantastic local venue for a broad spectrum of live music and entertainment with headline bands like Bob Weir. Chef Gordon Drysdale supplies a tasty menu for brunch and dinner. Best place to watch a big 49rs or Warriors game with friends.
- Mill Valley Lumber Yard, throwback to a bygone era of Maker shops and unique speciality stores with several great restaurants WaterShed and Flour Craft. A great place to meet a client or friend or impress a visitor.
- Proof Lab, more than a surf store this collective of shops, Equator coffee and the new Hook and Fish restaurant is a great place to spend a few hours relaxing in the hip atmosphere and be energized by the youthful energy of the surf culture and bohemian lifestyle.
- Boyle Park with the newly refurbished tennis courts it feels like a private club yet this public institution is open to all. There is a new playground for toddlers and dog park as well as adjoining baseball and soccer fields for all your athletic needs. Frank, the tennis pro, will be your new best friend while he improves your swing.
- Mill Valley Library tucked amidst the Redwoods the library feels like a house of worship for books. With its cathedral-like great room there are thousands upon thousands of books, lecture series, and community events. The library is a real hub for Mill Valley residents. The cozy leather sofas on the lower floor look out onto Mill Creek are the best place to plunge into that new bestseller.
- Mount Tam. for endless hiking and biking and natural exploration and beautiful panoramic views. The Mountain Home Inn is the spot for a bite to eat with one of the most incredible views around.
- Mill Valley Film Festival is an internationally acclaimed cinema event in October presenting a wide variety of new films from around the world. The festival has an impressive track record of launching new films and new filmmakers, and has earned a reputation as a filmmakers’ festival by celebrating the best in American independent and foreign films in the friendly, relaxed backdrop of downtown Mill Valley
- Great Design Stores. No need to go to the SF Design District to find cool furniture and home accessories with the likes of Summer House, Terra Outdoor, Ruby Living Designs, Henry Built, The Workroom, Sundry Kitchen & Garden and Prevalent Projects.
Another major reason that Mill Valley is so popular is the schools. With multiple elementary schools to choose from it gives families moving out the city some great options.
- Edna Maquire Park School
- Tam Valley
- Old Mill
- Strawberry Point
- Park School
- Marin Horizons (K-8)
- Ring Mountain Day School (K-8)
- Mt. Tamalpais Private
- Mill Valley Middle School
- Marin Horizons (K-8)
- Mt. Tamalpais (K-8)
Real Estate Landscape
It’s no surprise that Mill Valley has some of the more expensive homes in Southern Marin, but like its people there is a wide variety of neighborhoods and architectural styles. The most desirable locals are close to downtown in the flats with all day sun and walking distance to schools, like the Sycamore Park neighborhood. These central locations have a more suburban feel and a very active neighborhood community. As you go up into the hills or into the Redwoods you will find more rustic retreats with great views, privacy, and larger lots with more outdoor space. However, the longer and curvier the drive the more affordable the real estate typically is. There is a veritable potpourri of building design from Craftsman to Modern Farmhouse, Mediterranean to Mid-Century, from Bungalow to Ski Chalet, as well as Uber Modern and California Ranchers. If you can envision it then there is probably a home in Mill Valley with your name on it. Because of the variety of both design and topography it is important to know the lay of the land before you purchase a home.
Mill Valley is a dreamy place to build a well balanced and enriching life. It provides the perfect blend of the outdoorsy, sporty lifestyle without giving up on the more urban comforts of gourmet coffee shops and trendy restaurants. Like a lot of Souther Marin this is a family-centric community but what makes Mill Valley special is its diverse terrain, its easy access for commuting to the city and its blend of characters that give the community its color and individuality.